Friday, June 18, 2010

Expressway to Haneda

I got up early this morning to take a friend of mine to the airport. I picked him up in Iriya just north of Ueno. From there we entered the expressway using ETC (Electronic Toll Collection system). And proceeded along the expressway toward Haneda Airport.
I discovered along the way that one has to pay attention to the details of the road signs. Most of the road signs on the expressway are in both English and Japanese, however when heading to Haneda or Narita airports it's important to ensure that you follow the road to Haneda Airport and not just "Haneda". The same I imagine goes for Narita Airport.

The ETC system takes a lot of hassle out of travelling on the expressway. I didn't need to worry about fumbling around for change at the toll gate, I just drove through the gate and the ETC system picks up my tab at the end of each month pulling the funds from my credit card.

We got to Haneda in no time. Driving the Expressway was a fast and comfortable ride. It is common knowledge that noone really follows the speed limits here in Japan. On the expressway, for the most part the speed limit was 60KMp/h, with most people travelling at about 100. I decided to travel at a mean 80K's just because it was more comfortable for me with the unfamiliar roads.

Parking
At the airport we drove up into one of several parking buildings. The enterances to each floor indicate if there is any available parking spaces meaning you don't have to drive around looking for a space. Even the sections of the parking building have availability indicators, so finding a park was pretty easy.
Each floor was represented by an animal, so you could easily remember which parking floor you left your car on. I think this is a briliant idea. We parked on level 5 (AKA Zebra). The picture to the right is of level 4, the Panda. I forgot to grab one of these do-dakeys for level 5. You can write the section and park number on these slips and take them with you so you don't forget where you parked.

What really amazes me is how convenient everything is. After saying goodbye to my friend (who might I add cut things very fine, leading me to make a mental note not to travel with this particular person internationally), I went back to the parking building. You have to take your parking ticket with you in most parking buildings, this was no exception. I paid my ticket at the machine (400yen for an hour. Not so bad). And went to level Zebra. Now the most convinient thing about a lot of the parking buildings in Tokyo is the automatic vehicle recognition. When you enter the parking building and press the ticket button, a photo of you number plate is taken, and the characters are recognised. When you pay your ticket, that is pretty much it. Once you get to the exit gates, a camera will take another snap of your number plate and match it to paid tickets, if there is a match the gates will open automatically and away you go.
You will be able to see if the ticket is one of the automatic ones by looking for your number plate written on it. Like the one above.

The drive back was just as quick and smooth. I might have been pinged by a camera though.. I will find out in a few months I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment