Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ushiku Daibutsu

I have just got back from a drive out to the Ushiku Daibutsu. Unfortunately we arrived after closing time so were unable to enter the park. However we still managed to get photos of it from the park perimeter. We could have taken photos of it much earlier on, as the it is one of the tallest statues in the world. I think it even has an entry in the Guiness Book of Records as the biggest statue or something.

It is massive!

The drive out along the expressway was pleasent. In fact, I love how noone pays attention to the speed limit. The limit along the road was 80km. NOONE was driving at 80, the slowest speed was 100, but the average speed was 120. Some even travelled at 150kmp/h. A great chance to test what my car was made of I thought.

The ride took just a little over 1 hour from Arakawa-ku to the Daibutsu. Once we left the expressway, I was supprised at the route my Navi took me. We ended up driving through some pretty thick bamboo groves. Not that I was complaining. It was great to be surrounded by such lush green, having been stuck in the concrete jungle of Tokyo for so long. It was also quite interesting to think that I was probably the only person to have ever driven an Australian Holden Commodore through such a picture perfect grove. I wanted to get out and take a photo, but with the sun almost all gone, and the little amount of light coming through the thick bamboo canopy, it wouldn't have been a very good photo. Needless to say, I will remember the image for a long time.

The drive back was just as pleasent until we reached the Tokyo area. Traffic began to congest, and I had to travel mostly in 2nd gear.
I have to point out something I discovered today. I don't know if it's a rule, or if it's just curtosy or what, but it impressed me enough to bother writing about it. That is, when approaching a sudden queue of vehicles drivers will flash their hazards, so the vehicles behind them know about the queue and can begin breaking early. Each vehicle begins sending the message to the vehicle behind them using their hazards, and the result is no nose to tails. I don't know if this technique is employed in any other country, but I never saw it in NZ, or AUS. If it's not used, I suggest people start doing it. It's bloody good thinking.

Anyway, we were stuck in traffic for a while but finally broke free at our exit, and the remaining drive through the normal streets was smooth and pretty much nonstop.
I recommend going to see the Ushiku Daibutu... Before 5pm, so you can actually go inside the park and inside the Daibutu also.


No comments:

Post a Comment